January 31, 2013

burrrr-acious! my word for SUPER cold!

Welcome to North Dakota!! It is so cold today!  I am a true North Dakotan... meaning I LOVE THE COLD AND WINTER!  But this is even a little too cold for me.  This is the second day of this weather and I am kind of getting ready for it to move on.  Now, I feel I should explain, because two days of this wouldn't usually be so bad, except that all of last week was well below zero too!  


Now -14* is not all that cold, but when you add in the pesky wind that happens to ALWAYS blow in North Dakota and the windchill (or RealFeel as they like to call it now) makes it feel like -49*, that makes it a little unbearable! 

So for dinner, I am thinking something warm and hearty is on the menu.  While I am not quite sure what to make tonight, I just wanted to share this recipe I made on Monday.  I wish I could make it again, because it would be perfect for warming us up tonight!

Chicken Noodle Casserole




Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup milk
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
3 cups uncooked macaroni
chicken bouillon
pepper
3/4 cup Ritz cracker crumbs



Directions:

In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute onions in butter until onions are tender. 
(I'm not a big onion fan, but this really did make the dish WONDERFUL! So trust me, even if you don't usually like onions, don't omit this step!)


Add in soup and 1 ½ cups cheese; gradually stir in milk.Cook over medium heat until cheese melts; stir in chicken; taste and adjust seasoning with bouillon and pepper.


While everything is melting together, cook the noodles in a separate pot.  Cook until just about done, as they will soak up some juice as they cook in the oven. 


When noodles are done, place them into a 3 quart baking dish. Transfer mixture to the dish and mix it all together.


Sprinkle on the Ritz cracker crumbs. 


Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.


Top with remaining ½ cup cheese and bake 5 minutes.



I got the recipe idea from the site below.  I added a few changes to make it my own!  

ENJOY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment