February 20, 2014

Cloth Diaper Washing Routine and Detergent

One of the big choices when using cloth diapers is how to wash them.  This can be a little daunting at first, because I mean, come on... you are washing poop... in your washing machine... that washed all your other clothes!  Kind of gross! :)

But I promise, it is not that gross.  And it really isn't all that hard either!  

Like said in my cloth diaper 101 post, I am not saying this is the greatest way to wash cloth diapers... this is just what works for our family.

We use a wet/dry pail method.  This means that some diapers get put in the pail wet and some get put in dry.  We use a garbage can from Target with a press down latching lid.  I use lemon scented garbage bags to line the pail. I know, I know! Bad mommy for using bags and not a reuseable liner.  But honestly I am using cloth diapers for the money saving aspect, not the environmental aspect and in the long run, I think using disposable bags will be cheaper than buying diaper pail liners.  Diaper pail liners are anywhere from 18 to 30 dollars each and I would need to get two of them so you can use one while the other is washing.  I bought 75 garbage bags for less than 4 dollars and I use one every two to three days.  So about 8 - 10 dollars per year and hopefully diapers for only two years... you do the math! :)

But back to the wet/dry pail!  We have the pail in our bathroom next to the toilet.  We change Bug's diaper in his room, and then bring the diaper to the bathroom.  If it is just a wet diaper, we simple put it in the pail.  If it is a messy diaper, I either spray it off with the diaper sprayer, or rinse it in the sink.  If it is really runny and gross like breastfed baby poop can be sometimes, I just rinse it in the sink because I would fill my toilet up three times using the diaper sprayer because the poop just stays on the diaper and you have to use so much spray to get it off.  I leave these messy diapers pretty wet when I put them in the pail, trying to leave as much water as I can in them to leave them wet until wash day.  This helps the stains to not set in.  

My husband made this wonderful diaper sprayer but you can buy them online also.

I also take all the diapers inserts out right way so I don't have to do it before I put them in the washer.  Digging through diapers that have been sitting for two days does gross me out! :) So I always make sure to have everything wash ready before putting it in the pail!

On wash day I bring the bag down stairs and and put it in the washing machine.  I also throw in a towel to help swish things around.  I usually end up only filling the washer up half full with diapers, so I just feel like the towel helps to agitate them more.  I use a full load setting of water and do a cold rinse.  Water cleans diapers!  I find it best to put it on a full load regardless of how full of diapers that washer is. 

After the cold rinse, I put in detergent and do a hot wash, cold rinse cycle.  Some people say to do another rinse after this to make sure all the detergent is out, but I really don't find it necessary.  My little Bug doesn't have rashes and my diapers do not repel, so I am pretty sure all the detergent is out. But if you have either of these problems, you might want to do another rinse. 

Then I throw everything in the dryer.  I use the longest dry cycle on the hottest setting.  My fitted and hemp liners don't get dry all the way so then I just set them out to finish drying.  I know some people say to pull out the covers because heat isn't good for them, but so far I am not seeing any problems with the covers.  They still look and work good as new.  So for simplicity sake, I will continue to put them in the dryer.

The detergent I use to homemade, but it's nothing fancy.  I just decided to use it once again because of the money saving factor.  Buying cloth diaper detergent is expensive!  And I didn't want to just use regular detergent because I know that can cause repelling issues.  So I made my own. 


Here is my recipe...

1 cup Washing Soda
1 Cup Borax
1/2 cup Oxi-clean free or baby

Simply stir them together and you have a cloth diaper detergent!  Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy! :)


I tripled the recipe and it lasted me 3 1/2 months.  I use about 2-3 tablespoons per load.  


I wrote the recipe on a piece of paper and taped it to the top of my container so I always have to ready to go and easy access to it.


I do still have some staining, but nothing too bad.  And usually a few washed will get the stain out totally!  Once summer comes, I am going to try sunning my diapers because I have read that takes stains out.  But for now, it is winter in North Dakota, so no sunning diapers for me! :)  

 I hope you are enjoying the wonderful world of cloth diapering as much as I am!  
Cassandra :)

P.S. - I know there is some controversy over using borax.  But it is only dangerous if it is ingested by a child.  Well two things...
1.  All the detergent is washed out of the diapers
2.  My Bug is not sucking on his diapers!
So for me, it really isn't a concern, but if it does bother you, there are many other simple recipes for cloth diaper detergent you can use.  


No comments:

Post a Comment