June 18, 2015

Fabric Bins

I have a hard time spending money on things for myself.  Especially if I'm spending money on something to make my life easier, more organized, or making a space prettier.  So I am always thinking of ways I can make the things that I want to buy in the stores. 

One of my favorite things to make are fabric covered storage bins.  I think that bins are so expensive for what you are actually getting.  In fact, that's what I asked for this last Christmas... BINS!  I was really wanting them for a walk in closet/pantry we have at our house, but I wasn't wanting to spend the money on them, so I asked for them for Christmas.  Not your usual Christmas present, but I loved it! :)

Anyways... I have found a really simple way to get cheap and good looking storage!  All you need is a sturdy box and about a 1/3 to 1/2 yard of any kind of fabric and a hot glue gun.  

I find that diaper boxes work great!  Also boxes from Sam's Club or Costco that the bulk food stuff comes in, like granola bars, canned fruit, etc.  Since I couldn't handle the smell of cloth diapers while I was pregnant, I have quite a few diaper boxes and I can't throw them away because they are sturdy and a perfect size to make homemade bins from!

Basically all you do is wrap the fabric around the box, hot glue it to stay, and wrap up the corners like a present.  These boxes probably wouldn't be good for toy storage or storage boxes that are filled with heavy things, unless your boxes are super strong and sturdy.

I mostly use them for cloth diaper storage, extra boxed food (noodles, rice, pasta, etc) storage, and tupperwear lids and container storage.


First, cut your fabric to fit your bin, then hot glue down one side.  I have made some before where I put the fabric all the way to the bottom of the box. It just depends on how pretty you want the inside of the box to look!


Then do the same thing to the other side.


Cut a piece of fabric to fit the side of the box.  Next, flip out the corner pieces so you can insert the side panel. 


Glue the side panel in, making sure to glue it inside the box also.

Then glue the flaps down, on top of the side panel.  Almost like wrapping a present.  If you want the sides to be neat and clean, fold the edge over so no cut edges are showing. 


This is what the finished side panel should look like. 


And there you have your finished storage box! Like I said above, it might not be the fanciest storage box, but it looks a lot nicer sitting on a shelf than a diaper box!  And they are super fast and easy to make!

Hope you enjoy your cheap and easy storage solutions!

Cassandra :)

No comments:

Post a Comment